Thursday, August 4, 2011

Eve's Fall, updated

Speaking of vipers, and of updating old books into new systems. Pamela Garvey's poem "Eve’s Fall Through Technology" was a Tuesday Poem feature on 3 Quarks Daily. Here's Section 3, "The Fax":
Enclosed is my confession. Read it over, sign, date, and send back ASAP.

The serpent wound up
my inner thigh.
Risk-taking was my halo,
paradise calibrated.
He tore the seam between us.
I know you are hungry. I know
you are lost. My days
are a frayed immersion.
I peel and core and slice
apple after apple
to taste their rot.
We owe so much to old Eve, taking it on the chin for so many ruined generations. Many thanks to Shanna Slank for turning our eye to this poem.

*

Sassan Tabatabai -- like Keith Botsford, a contributor to The Charles River Journal -- himself has a well-tuned poem returning to this Biblical trope, "Adam to Eve in Old Age". This poem will appear in his first poetry collection, Uzunburun, will be available this September from Pen & Anvil.

0 comments:

Post a Comment