Thursday, August 4, 2011

Not Enough Books in Your Bag?

Robert Archambeau recently asked Facebook what word we might use for the particular species of anxiety felt when you're packing for a trip and you fear you're not bringing enough books. He writes,
I know guys who, even though they know they won't read them, bring 8 or 10 books for a weekend trip. I ask because I just put two books & a Kindle into my bike's saddlebag, in case I feel like pulling over and reading on a bench for a while. I need to know the name of the disease from which I suffer!
In response, one David Sanders suggested "biblialgia", while Lina Ramona Vitkauskas observed that this is just a symptom of that disease called "intelligence".

Can you do better? Post a comment below, if you will. I'll make sure RA is alerted to any progress we make. I did send this over to Word Fugitives at The Atlantic, but have heard nothing yet -- though I'm not surprised to think her backlog is miles deep, what with the current mania for neologism and lexical recasting.

0 comments:

Post a Comment