The Providence Athenaeum has announced guidelines for the 14th annual Philbrick Poetry Project Chapbook Series. This year's poet-judge is Lisa Starr, Rhode Island Poet Laureate
The winning poet will receive $500, publication of her or his chapbook, publication of an e-book on the Athenaeum website, and the opportunity to read with the poet-judge.
- Deadline: Submissions must be postmarked between July 15, 2011 and October 15, 2011.
- A check for the entry fee of $10.00 must be enclosed with the submission (includes free chapbook of a previous honoree).
- Manuscripts should be 15 to 25 pages. Please send two copies.
- Eligibility is limited to residents of the New England states (Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont) who have not had a poetry chapbook or a full-length book published. The Philbrick Poetry Project honors a spirit of fairness and integrity among poets. If you have been a student of the judge within the last five years or if you have a close personal or professional relationship with the judge, please wait until next year to submit your work.
- The author’s name must not appear anywhere on the manuscript.
- Please enclose with your submission two cover sheets with the following information. Cover sheet #1: Title of manuscript, author name and address, telephone number and e-mail address. Cover sheet # 2: Title of manuscript.
- Please include a stamped, self-addressed envelope for announcement. Manuscripts will not be returned.
- The honoree will be announced in February 2012.
- The reading by the poet judge and honoree will take place at the Athenaeum in April 2012.
Manuscripts may be sent to: The Providence Athenaeum, attn. Philbrick Poetry Project , 251 Benefit Street
Providence, RI 02903.